The President’s Fiscal Year 2018 budget request significantly cuts NIOSH, eliminating programs that protect the health and safety of America’s workforce, such as the Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (AFF) Program, Education and Research Centers (ERCs), and the Total Worker Health (TWH) Program.
Letters and calls from constituents in support of NIOSH are desperately needed at this time. Below are two EASY and QUICK options for you to directly contact your congressional leaders. Make contact before July 13th!
To send letters to your state Senators and House representative [all at the same time]:
- Visit http://capwiz.com/caiha/issues/alert/?alertid=77941626
- The subject line and letter is already completed for you. Read and personalize the content of the letter as you feel necessary. You can also use language from the attached letter.
- Select ‘Health’ as the issue.
- Enter your sender information and select SEND MESSAGE.
To call your state Senators and House representative:
- Find your congressional leaders.
To find your representative, click this link [http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/] to search by zip code.
Senators for your state and their phone numbers are listed in the table below.
|State||Senator||Capitol Office||Main District Office|
|Arkansas||Sen. John Boozman||202-224-4843||501-372-7153|
|Sen. Tom Cotton||202-224-2353||202-224-2353|
|Louisiana||Sen. Bill Cassidy||202-224-5824||225-929-771|
|Sen. John Kennedy*||202-224-4623||337-269-5980|
|New Mexico||Sen. Tom Udall||202-224-6621||505-346-6791|
|Sen. Martin Heinrich||202-224-5521||505-346-6601|
|Oklahoma||Sen. James Inhofe||202-224-4721||918-748-5111|
|Sen. James Lankford*||202-224-5754||405-231-4941|
|Texas||Sen. John Cornyn||202-224-2934||972-239-1310|
|Sen. Ted Cruz||202-224-5922||214-599-8749|
* Senate Appropriations Subcommittee – Labor HHS Call weekly between now and July 13th.
That’s two phone calls! A staffer will usually answer the phone. All you have to say is:
“I am a supporter of NIOSH. Please help protect worker health and safety by preserving funding for NIOSH in the FY 2018 Labor, Health and Human Services Appropriations Bill.”
If you call after hours, you can leave a message. Your call will still be tallied on the Call Report.
FYI—Our region has some important people on the House Appropriations Subcommittee for Labor HHS
- Tom Cole, Oklahoma, Chairman
- Steve Womack, Arkansas, Vice Chair